UN World Food Safety Day 2019
- June 12, 2019
- Posted by: Emma Barnett
- Category: BRC, Food Defence, Food Safety, HACCP, International, Latest News, RQA Group, TACCP, Training
First Ever UN World Food Safety Day – June 7th 2019
The first-ever United Nations World Food Safety Day took place on 7 June 2019 under the theme “Food Safety, everyone’s business”.
Every year, nearly one in ten people in the world (an estimated 600 million people) fall ill and 420,000 die after eating food contaminated by bacteria, viruses, parasites or chemical substances.
One of the aims of the day is to emphasise that food safety is a shared responsibility between governments, producers and consumer. FAO and WHO have created a guide which includes five steps to make a sustained difference to food safety:
1. Ensure it’s safe. Governments must ensure safe and nutritious food for all.
2. Grow it safe. Agriculture and food producers need to adopt good practices.
3. Keep it safe. Business operators must make sure food is safely transported, stored and prepared.
4. Check it’s safe. Consumers need access to timely, clear and reliable information about the nutritional and disease risks associated with their food choices.
5. Team up for safety. Governments, regional economic bodies, UN organizations, development agencies, trade organizations, consumer and producer groups, academic and research institutions and private sector entities must work together on food safety issues.
Steps 2-3 are key to food manufacturers and RQA can help you to understand your responsibilities, assist you in developing, updating and testing your HACCP and Food Defence plans and run Food Safety Training for staff at all levels of your business to help develop a good food safety culture.
There are many more ways that you and your business can contribute to ensuring the supply of safe, quality food. If you would like to chat to one of our team about this then please email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)118 935 7242.
For more information on World Food Safety Day click here
You can also watch the launch event of World Food Safety Day